Coordinating Organizational Change to Support Diversity Goals
Note: it is particularly important for units to develop their own specific indicators for this Challenge.
Strong relationship between diversity planning and general strategic planning
- Close collaboration between the Office of Planning and Institutional Assessment and the Office of the Vice Provost for Educational Equity to ensure synergies between the University strategic plans and A Framework to Foster Diversity, particularly between the 2010-15 Framework and the Priorities for Excellence plan 2009–10 through 2014–15.
- A Framework to Foster Diversity at Penn State: 2010–15 encourages more strategic planning approaches and focus on macro-level progress rather than on operational reporting.
Institutionalized enhancements to the diversity strategic planning process and resources
- Implementation of a thorough review of Unit diversity plans on a regular basis, including follow-up discussions between the Provost, Vice Provost for Educational Equity, and unit executives.
- Analysis of review results to determine University progress, best practices, and opportunities for improvement.
- Implementation of Best Practices in Diversity Strategic Planning workshops for unit executives and planners.
- Development of University Framework Strategic Indicators.
- Comprehensive Web site of documentation.
Presence of structures to ensure that issues of diversity, inclusion, and equity are represented at the highest levels of administrative decision making
- Chief Diversity Officer position (in existence since 1989), Vice Provost for Educational Equity.
- Vice Provost for Educational Equity participates in President’s Council, Academic Leadership Council, and University Faculty Senate.
- Three advisory commissions to the President of Penn State regarding issues of diversity: Commission for Women (1981); Commission on Racial/Ethnic Diversity (1989); Commission on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Equity (1991).
- Each college has a multicultural officer position.
- Educational Equity and many colleges have diversity advisory boards.