Using Course Smart with Kurzweil
CourseSmart currently offers around 90% of textbooks that are in use today. The website offers these as eBooks that are available to rent from the website for 180 days. After purchasing a rental, you can view the book either on or offline.
In order to find and rent textbooks from CourseSmart:
To Use Kurzweil 3000 with CourseSmart Books:
CourseSmart books cannot be downloaded as PDFs or any other file formats, you must read them within your web browser on the CourseSmart site. However, several screen readers are compatible with CourseSmart.
In order to use Kurzweil 3000 with your Course Smart e-textbook, follow these instructions:
Kurzweil 3000 version 12 has a Firefox plugin that can be used with CourseSmart to provide text-to-speech capabilities.
- Using the Kurzweil 3000 plugin does require the Accessible Reader. To have your account setup to use the accessible reader, please contact support or email@example.com to request the accessible reader option.
- Install the Kurzweill 3000 with the Firefox Browser plugin
- Start Kurzweill 3000 and select the Web icon from the tool bar to start the Firefox browser with the Kurzweill plugin
- When the browser is loaded, go to www.coursesmart.com and login to CourseSmart. Go to your bookshelf and select the book you wish to read.
- When the book has opened, select the Highlights tab in the left side of the reader page.
- Once the Highlight tab is open, move your cursor in the Highlight frame to get the “I-bar” text selection tool and click on the “e” in the word “Page” at the bottom of the highlight tab. This anchors Kurzweill 3000 where the accessible text can be read by the program.
- Use the “Play” button in the Kurzweill Firefox toolbar to start reading the text. The text on each page starts with the phrase “Book Text”. If “Book Text” or “e Book Text” is not announced, select pause and try again.
- It should not be necessary to repeat establishing location on each subsequent page. After paging to another page, simply press the Read button in the toolbar to read the next page.
- To review, see http://coursesmart.com/go/videos/accessibility/Kurzweil3000captions.mov