Summer 2016 Employment Opportunities
Upward Bound Math and Science Summer STEM Institute
The Upward Bound Math and Science (UBMS) program is a federally-funded TRIO program that offers a Summer STEM Institute for 35 to 40 high school students at University Park from June 11th - July 23rd. This program provides academic enrichment through summer classes and applied learning activities for college readiness and career preparation. The students who qualify and attend this program are seeking introductory content to which may include hands-on experiences and career exploration. Students will complete a research project with Penn State faculty from College of Earth and Mineral Science, College of Science, and College of Agricultural Science and give a presentation of their findings at the end of the summer program.
Characteristics of target audience
- High school students, grades 9-12 (age range 14-17)
- Low-income, first-generation, underrepresented in STEM potential college students
- Students attend Persistently Lowest Achieving (PLA) school districts in Pennsylvania
- May be Second language learners (Spanish/English)
Qualifications include: dedication to educating the next generation, development of introductory level concepts, and assisting students with learning course work. Teachers are encouraged to use inquiry-based teaching methods, field trips, hands-on activities, and other creative means to support their lessons. The course should not be designed for depth of content, but rather to promote confidence and persistence/diligence in a content area. It is helpful if courses are written to connect content with critical thinking and communication skills. We need educators to teach in the following areas:
- Academic Courses:
- Research Writing/English
- Public Speaking
- Presentation (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Math (Geometry, Algebra II, Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus, Calculus, AP/Advanced Math)
- Science (Biology, Physic, Chemistry, AP/Advanced Science)
- Time frame: June 15 - July 17
- Class size: 10 to 15 students
- Class time: Two periods, twice a week, for 1.5 hours each course. The Presentation course is only taught for one period, twice a week, for 1.5 hours each.
- Pay Rate: Will be determined based on experience. Please refer to the official job posting for more information.
- Materials: UBMS has a limited selection of textbooks available; however, you may prefer to utilize materials you are more familiar with. Please contact the UBMS office for information specific to the course you are interested in teaching.
UBMS employs a team of Penn State grad and undergrad students who are enjoy tutoring, mentoring, and facilitating small group activities for high school-aged. Residential staff are required to reside in the residence hall with our students and provide tutoring, establish mentoring relationships and rapport, and create a supportive, encouraging, safe and welcoming environment throughout the program.
Residential Coordinator (RC):
- Similar to a traditional Residential Director or Hall Coordinator position
- Scheduling, supervising, and evaluating the programs of Residential Mentors (RMs)
- Interacting and collaborating with staff members from other programs in the residence hall
- Communicating with cleaning and maintenance personnel on an ongoing basis
- Time frame: May 16th - July 23rd
- Pay rate: $620/week. Housing and meals will be provided June 6th - July 23rd
- Similar to a traditional RA position
- Establishing a supportive, encouraging, and welcoming environment in the residence hall and within small group (6 to 7 students)
- Serving as a role model
- Enforcing program and University rules and policies
- Time frame: June 6th - July 23rd
- Pay rate: $460/week. Housing and meals provided length of employment
How do I apply?
Please visit the following links below to apply for each respective position:
- Summer Teachers: https://psu.jobs/job/60766
- Residential Coordinator (RC): https://psu.jobs/job/60767
- Residential Mentor (RM): https://psu.jobs/job/60768
For more information, please contact our office by calling 814-863-1296 or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.