You are here: Home / Office of Veterans Programs / New / Current Students

New / Current Students


  • Apply for GI Bill® benefits with the VA by completing the application process on the website. If you are deemed eligible, the VA will mail you a “Certificate of Eligibility” or “Award Letter” detailing your VA educational benefits. 
  • Apply for your GI Bill® benefits at Penn State by sending a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility or Award Letter to our office. After registering for classes, complete a “Certification Request Form". This will be an electronic form which can be accessed in LionPATH beginning summer semester 2022. This needs to be completed every semester. 
  • Complete a “Free Application for Federal Student Aid “(FAFSA) Even if you are receiving VA educational benefits, you may qualify for additional student financial aid and are encouraged to apply.  For additional guidance, refer to the Office of Student Aid at
  • Obtain your Penn State identification card, which can be done at the HUB Robeson Center. For more information use the following link:
  • Establish a Penn State Access Account, which will allow you to set up a University email account as well as a LionPATH account. For more information, or help in getting started, use the following link: 
  • Establish Veterans Priority Registration for students who have been honorably discharged or are actively serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.  Qualifying students can reference Priority Registration/Honor Cord.
  • For a schedule of academic actions/timelines, visit Penn State Academic Calendar
  • Course Scheduling/Registration is done through LionPATH. Students should consult with their academic adviser with regard to scheduling courses for each semester.  Students ineligible or not interested in Priority Registration (as above) should consult the University Park Registration Timetable to learn their first day to schedule.
  • Sign up for eRefund from your LionPATH account. Student refunds can be electronically deposited into a bank account by logging into your Student Center and selecting, "Manage My Account/Make a Payment" link.  This will take you to the payment portal - on the left hand side, third box down, select the link that states, "Click to enroll in eRefund".
  • If you are a Chapter 30 or 1606 benefit recipient, you must go onto the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) website at to verify your enrollment monthly. If internet is not available, you can also verify your enrollment monthly by phone at 1-877-838-2778. This must be done at the end of every month to receive the previous month’s attendance/benefit.
  • OVP Student Sponsor Program is a peer mentoring program in which successfully transitioned student veterans (“Sponsors”) are paired with incoming student veterans to assist them with acclimation to student life, gaining access to university and community resources, as well as providing opportunities for socialization. Sponsors meet monthly with their supervisors (licensed mental health professionals) to discuss/evaluate student progress, needs, and referrals to the Office of Veterans Program staff for those who require additional assistance. The program ensures that incoming student veterans are supported during their transition to academic life and serves as a gateway to the Office of Veterans Programs’ holistic model of veterans’ assistance.For more information about the OVP Student Sponsor Program, please contact Elisa McGahan (emv125) or Renée Thornton-Roop (rat14) via email or by phone at 814-863-0465.

  • Free tutoring services are provided by Penn State Learning (PSL).  For information about the services visit Penn State Learning.
  • Changes in your enrollment status (add/drop, withdrawal, change of major, etc…) must be reported to the Office of Veterans Programs as they may affect your benefit.
  • Intention to graduate is the student's responsibility and must be set by selecting “Graduating This Semester” in  LionPATH at the beginning of the semester in which you plan to graduate. The commencement schedule for the semester is available online through the Registrar's Home Page, To receive an Honor Cord for veterans and actively serving military, see Priority Registration/Honor Cord.