You are here: Home / Office of Veterans Programs / Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions



How do I receive my benefits at Penn State?

Apply for GI Bill® benefits by completing the online application at . If the VA finds you eligible, they will mail you a “Certificate of Eligibility” or an “Award Letter” with information about your benefit. Please submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility or Award Letter to our office immediately upon receipt. You can drop the document off in person, email or fax it.


How do I change my address?

To update your address on LionPATH:

  1. Log in to your Student Home Base in LionPATH.
  2. Select "My Information" on top of the page.
  3. Select "Addresses" on the left navigation menu on the page.
  4. Click on the address or on the "+" sign to update your permanent address.

To update your address with the VA, you can do so by calling 1-800-827-1000 or 1-888-442-4551. In addition, you should also stop by 146 Ritenour Building to complete a Change of Address form to update our records.

How do I verify my enrollment to the VA?

Chapter 30 and 1606 are required to verify enrollment with the VA at the end of each month. You can verify your enrollment through several means:

  • IVR: Interactive Voice Response. Call 1-877-823-2378 (1-877-VAE-CERT) and follow the instructions provided.
  • WAVE: Web Automated Verification of Enrollment. Point your internet browser to and follow the link to the WAVE program. Instructions are provided online.

How do I sign up for direct deposit?

All chapters for VA educational benefits are eligible to use the Direct Deposit program through the VA. To sign up, call 1-877-838-2778 or 1-888-442-4551 and have your bank's routing number and your account number available.

If you are currently receiving benefits or have received benefits in the last year, the WAVE system can be used to update your financial institution information. Click on the WAVE link and follow the instructions on the WAVE web site to logon. You will see links to change your address and your direct deposit information.

The WAVE website is:

What I should I do if I change my enrollment?

Let us know as soon as you drop, withdraw, or change majors so that we can notify the VA. Overpayments may be incurred by dropping or withdrawing, so it's important that we notify the VA as soon as possible.

Does the VA pay for pass/fail and audit courses?

Pass/Fail courses will not be paid for if they are failed. However, if you are already full-time without the course, it will not affect your payment. Audit courses will not be paid for by the VA.

What should I do if I plan to permanently transfer?

If you are transferring to another Penn State campus, you should complete the Request for Change of Program of Place of Training forms (22-1995 or 22-5495 if Chapter 35) and we will make copies of your paperwork and send it to the campus. If you will be attending another college, you may complete the correct VA form and we will give you copies of your paperwork to take to your new college.

Does Penn State participate in the Yellow Ribbon component of the Post 9/11 GI Bill®?

While Penn State is a Yellow Ribbon school, this benefit is obsolete due to The Choice Act legislation of 2015, which dictates that public universities must charge the in-state tuition rate to students using GI Bill benefits.  All eligible veterans regardless of benefit use, as well as military/veteran dependents who are actively using Chapter 33, Chapter 35 or Fry Scholarship benefits, will be eligible for in-state tuition regardless of residency. If you are a veteran and you are not using GI Bill® benefits, please contact your campus Certifying Official to determine requirements to establish eligibility for the in-state rate.

What should I do if I am debating a change to enrollment?

If you are struggling in a course and considering a drop, please contact our office to speak with a certifying official regarding any impact to your benefits and resources. Frequently discussed resources include Penn State Learning, utilizing office hours, and contacting an academic advisor.

Insurance Waiver for Veterans

For students with VA Benefits and/or TRICARE to complete the Penn State waiver on LionPATH, please follow the instructions below:

Go to LionPATH

Select “My Information”

Select “Health Insurance”

Click “Waive”

Enter the policy details for the VA Benefits and/or TRICARE as detailed below:

  • Student information should be pre-populated. 
    • Waiver Questions - answer “Yes” to questions 1-8
    • Are you a graduate assistant/fellow? Yes or No
    • Insurance Company Name:  VA Benefits or TRICARE
    • Member ID Number:  Use TRICARE or US Uniformed services ID card (Benefits Number)
    • Group Number:  Use TRICARE or US Uniformed services ID card (Benefits Number)
    • Is your Insurance Plan part of a Medicaid Program? No
    • Policy Holder First Name: Veteran’s First Name
    • Policy Holder Last Name: Veteran’s Last Name
    • Policy Holder Date of Birth: Veteran’s Date of Birth
    • Policy Holder Member ID Number:  Use TRICARE or US Uniformed services ID card (Benefits Number)
    • Insurance Company Phone Number: *
    • Insurance Company Address: *
    • City (Must be a City in the United States): *
    • State: *
    • Zip Code: *
    • Please select the type of insurance plan you have: VA Benefits/TRICARE

*Anyone on TRICARE (including dependents) get issued a US Uniformed services ID card with their information on it.  They can also request “proof of insurance” from the TRICARE portal

*Any veteran enrolled in the VA health care system can receive a VHIC (Veteran Health Identification Card).  The process is outlined on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website: