You are here: Home / Office of Veterans Programs / Prospective Students

Prospective Students


If you are a veteran, active duty service member, or dependent of either, you may be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Below is a list of several chapters of educational benefits with a brief description of each.

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill: active duty and veterans; not transferrable to dependents.
Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty information

Chapter 31: Veteran Readiness & Employment (formally 'Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment'): veterans who have at least a 10 percent disability rating are eligible to apply; however, approval is not guaranteed; up to 48 months of entitlement possible.
Eligibility for Veteran Readiness and Employment information

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill: active duty and veterans may be eligible for up to 36 months of benefit. This benefit may be transferred to qualifying dependents, with restrictions.
Post-9/11 GI Bill information - [PDF]
Transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits information

Chapter 35: For spouses and children of 100 percent services-connected disabled veterans or of veterans who died in service; up to 45 months of entitlement are allowed.
VA Education Benefits for Survivors and Dependents information

Chapter 1606: National Guard and Reserves who have completed the initial Active Duty for training and 180 days of service in the Selected Reserves; may be eligible for up to 36 months of benefit.  
GI Bill Programs information

Tuition Assistance: If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program (also known as Federal Tuition Assistance - FTA). Check with your local Educational Assistance office for eligibility and enrollment requirements.
Tuition Assistance Top-Up information

Application for VA Education Benefits

Undergraduate Admissions 
To apply for undergraduate studies at Penn State

Graduate Admissions
To apply for graduate studies at Penn State 

Penn State Campuses VA Certifying Officials - [PDF] 

Transfer Credits
On transferring military and college credits to Penn State

Veterans Outreach Office / Peer Counseling 

The Veterans Outreach Office was established to assist prospective students in their pursuit of higher education.  Our Peer Counselors are student veterans who are trained to provide you with information and points of contact you may need to make an informed decision about postsecondary enrollment. Our counselors can also assist in the application processes for both the various educational benefit chapters and Penn State. The office is located at 146 Ritenour Building on the University Park campus, but they can assist regardless of where a student chooses to enroll.

How to Contact Us
Peer Counselors are here for you and are dedicated to answering any questions you may have.  Because Peer Counselors are students, they are only available when our office is open and we are staffed according to their class schedule availability.  You may contact them from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time), Monday through Friday by phone at 814-863-1798 or via email at:

If your phone call is not answered, contact the main office front desk at (814) 863-0465, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. (Eastern Time) and one of our professional staff will assist you.