GI Bill® Information

Apply for GI Bill® benefits with the VA

This can be done by completing the application process on the Veteran Affairs website. If you are deemed eligible, the VA will mail you a “Certificate of Eligibility” or “Award Letter” detailing your VA educational benefits. 

Apply for your GI Bill® benefits at Penn State 

This can be done by sending a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility or Award Letter to our office. After registering for classes, complete a “Certification Request Form." This is an electronic form which can be accessed in LionPATH. 

You can access the form by going to your Student Home Base, selecting the “My Information” icon, and then “VA Enrollment Cert Request” in the menu. This form must be completed each term you wish to use VA Education benefits. If this is your first semester using benefits, you will be able to upload your Certificate of Eligibility at that time. If you have a Military Affiliated Student Questionnaire in your To Do list, you will need to complete this before the VA Enrollment Request form. If you have any issues accessing the form, please reach out to a certifying official at your campus.

Imponent of the Post 9/11 GI Bill®?

While Penn State is a Yellow Ribbon school, this benefit is obsolete due to The Choice Act legislation of 2015, which dictates that public universities must charge the in-state tuition rate to students using GI Bill benefits.  All eligible veterans regardless of benefit use, as well as military/veteran dependents who are actively using Chapter 33, Chapter 35 or Fry Scholarship benefits, will be eligible for in-state tuition regardless of residency. If you are a veteran and you are not using GI Bill® benefits, please contact your campus Certifying Official to determine requirements to establish eligibility for the in-state rate.