Helpful information for students including Credit for Military Experience, Housing, Transportation, and more.

Credit for Military Experience

A veteran or member of the active armed services or the selected reserves who is a student may be eligible to earn Penn State credit for educational experiences and for Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), Navy Enlisted Classification (NEC), Marine Corps Enlisted Rating (MCE), and Coast Guard Rating (CGR).

Penn State will consider possible credits based upon a transcript from the American Council on Education (ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service. For more information on how you can earn credits, visit the Penn State Undergraduate Admissions website.

Off Campus Housing

Omega Delta Sigma National Veterans Fraternity (this is a co-ed fraternity) at Penn State offers a house with 14 private bedrooms within walking distance from campus. ODS works to ensure rent remains below the average cost for the area. Rent is all inclusive with shared amenities (kitchen, bathrooms, common space). Veteran status is required, but students are not required to be members of the fraternity to live in the house. For more information contact


Student Groups and Organizations

Student Veteran Center

The Student Veteran Center in the Ritenour Building houses the Office of Veterans Programs and the Office of Veterans Affairs and Services. In addition, our office has a veteran lounge that is a favorite for most of our veterans. In the lounge, students will find free food, space to spread out and relax, lockers for your backpack or computer, camaraderie, and Podrick (our facility dog). In addition, we have quiet IT equipped study rooms that you can reserve for up to two (2) hours at a time, and CAC enabled computers.

VA Healthcare

The VA has an outpatient clinic in State College, and a full hospital in Altoona, approximately 45 miles away.

To enroll or check your eligibility for VA Health Benefits, contact the James E. Van Zandt VA Medical Center at (814) 943-8164 x 17084 or visit:

Veterans First Year Seminar

The Office of Veterans Programs in connection with the College of Education offers a 3-credit First Year Seminar called “Transition is the Mission” (EDUC 100). The course is open to student veterans in any year of study. The course aims to help student veterans maximize their VA benefits, get the most out of their college experience, prepare for post-college employment, and adjust to life outside of the military. If you have any questions or are interested in taking this course, please contact the Office of Veterans Programs at

Veteran Student Sponsor Program

The Office of Veterans Programs offers peer mentoring via our Student Sponsor Program, where experienced student veterans will be assigned to incoming veterans. An assigned sponsor will reach out within the first week or two of school to provide support and assistance with acclimating to student life, connecting with Penn State and community resources, providing opportunities for socialization, and with other resources as needed.

If you need more information about these positions contact either:, or

Law Veterans and Servicemembers Legal Clinic (VSLC)

The Penn State Law Veterans and Servicemembers Legal Clinic offers students hands-on experience representing veterans and current servicemembers in some of the unique legal issues they encounter. For more information, visit the VSLC website.

Penn State Child Care Subsidy

The Student Parent Child Care Subsidy program is funded by The Pennsylvania State University and the federal Child Care Access Means Parents in School CCAMPIS (grant). The mission of the Student Parent Child Care Subsidy Program is to help pay a portion of student parent childcare costs for qualifying, low-income student parents to encourage high quality childcare while persisting and graduating from degree programs. For more information, visit the Child Care Subsidy Program website.